Sunday, August 29, 2010

Table for 9

Last night I hosted my very first dinner party! This was something that I have wanted to do for a while, but it was a matter of getting all my stuff together and mustering up the courage to actually cook for a lot of people.

In total (including me) there were 9 around the table - well not exactly around the table, a few had to sit on the couch because I couldn't find a spare table, but regardless, I was cooking for 9.  All day I kept running over the time in my head. I called it for 6:30, which meant I wanted the appetizers to be done by then, so I had to put the pigs in a blanket in at 6:15, etc... You get the picture. I'm a planner, what can I say.

Other than the fact that the pilot light in my oven went out around 6:00 (I got it fixed within 10 minutes), everything went off without a glitch.

The menu was as follows:
Appetizers:
Pigs-in-a-blanket (with ketchup and mustard dip)
Shrimp cocktail (with homemade cocktail sauce)
Tomato-mozzarella-basil skewers

Main Course:
Red wine marinated sirloin steaks (about 3 lbs)
Garlic mashed potatoes
Sauteed string beans with garlic

Dessert:
Blueberry peach cobbler with vanilla frozen yogurt.

If I do say so myself, everything was delicious. The appetizers kept people busy while I finished everything up in the kitchen. The company was fabulous, I must say I have great friends!

Everyone helped me clean up, which was fabulous considering I am a little anal when it comes to cleaning.

Looking back on it now, I think it last night was a success. We enjoyed some drinks, good talks, delicious food - what else could a girl ask for?

Thanks to Jay, Jess, Whitney, Steve, Amber, Michelle, Sperry and Justin for coming! Hope everyone enjoyed.

And in the words of Dave Matthews
Turns out not where, but who you're with that really matters...

No comments: