Saturday, August 28, 2010

Stop...Gnocchi Time

When I was in New York a few weekends ago, we went to an Italian market, and I couldn't resist purchasing some spinach gnocchi to take back with me.

Last night for dinner, I made this delicious spinach gnocchi for Justin and I since we decided to have a lay-low evening. After talking to my boss Jen and finally nailing down the pronunciation of this delicious dumpling (pronounced more like nyo-key NOT knock-ey), I decided to serve this up with a plain tomato sauce as opposed to a meat sauce. Since the gnocchi is so dense, this was a smart decision.

The great thing about gnocchi is that it is super easy to tell when it is done. Unlike other pasta, where many people resort to throwing it against the wall, gnocchi rises to the top of the pot when it is all done and ready to serve.

Justin sliced up some tomatoes that his parents gave them from their garden and tossed them with some shredded mozzarella, salt and pepper. These tomatoes are hands down better than any tomato you can get at a super market- trust me.

Once that was done, we plated it all, made a toast to a lovely Friday evening and ate away!

Good thing we laid low too because I have about 9845948593 things to do for my fabulous dinner party tonight. Lots of prep, lots of cooking and lots of pictures, so keep checking back for that post :)

1 comment:

Katie said...

You should start a garden! I'm all about everyone gardening; nuts to factory farming. Then you could have all the garden-fresh tomatoes you could handle! I know you live in an apartment, but that's what container gardening is for. And gnocchi is the shit. This meal looks delicious, and the sauce sounds like a great balance for the super-denseness of gnocchi.