Thursday, August 19, 2010

Asian (not-so) Glazed Chicken

One of my most favorite blogs to read is Gina's Weight Watcher recipes. She has such great pictures and the recipes all sound so delicious. While browsing her site, I came across a recipe for Asian-style glazed drumsticks that I HAD to make.

So last night, I went digging around in my kitchen and took out the necessary supplies. Unfortunately I didn't have drumsticks, so I went with a chicken tender I had in the fridge (3 oz. already weighed out so I knew how many ww points* it was).

The recipe below is for a single serving, but it can definitely be tailored for a larger group of people. It really is an easy dish to make and it is packed with TONS of flavor!

Ingredients:
3 oz. chicken breast/tender
2 packets splenda
3 tbsp. water
5. tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
5. tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic
1-2 tbsp. siracha (be careful this stuff is H-O-T- HOT!)
1 bunch broccoli
chives or scallions
sesame seeds

Steps:
Brown chicken on high for 3-4 minutes with a little spray oil.

Add broccoli, water, balsamic, soy sauce, splenda, garlic, hot sauce and cook on high until liquid comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes.

Asian Glazed Chicken with Broccoli and Potsticker
Remove cover and bring heat to high, allowing sauce to reduce down, about 8 minutes until it becomes a thick glaze, turning chicken occasionally.

Top with chives and sesame seeds and serve.

Tips:
Be careful once you remove the lid and watch the glaze as it is reducing to make sure it doesn't burn.

As you can see from my picture, I didn't actually perfect the glaze. The fact of the matter was, after running 5 miles at the gym and starting the cook, the thought of waiting 28 minutes for this sauce to glaze was just too much to handle. It still tasted FABULOUS! And the next time I make this dish, I will make sure I have the patience to cook it accordingly.

I served this up with a chicken/veggie potsticker because I was making them for lunch the next day and it just fit so perfectly into this meal. I also threw in a few pineapple chunks I had left over from my cranberry muffins and it complimented the flavor well.

Besides the chicken (which was 3 ww points*) all the other ingredients in this dish were relatively pointless (well not POINTLESS, but you know what I mean). So let's round it up to 4 just to be safe...not too shabby for a simple, tasty meal!

Lastly, to see Gina's recipe on this, go to: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/asian-glazed-drumsticks.html

No comments: