Monday, August 30, 2010

Pork Butt and Cupcakes and Birthday - OH MY!

So on Sunday, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Justin and I went to our friends Jeff and Sarah's for their daughters 1st birthday party. We had such a good time. It was such a hot day, but regardless we enjoyed sitting outside, drinking some beer, eating too much food and seeing our friends so excited that their daughter turned one.





Jeff cooked the main course of the day - pork butt! I did learn that it is not actually pork butt, but (hahaha) pork shoulder! The reason it is called pork butt is because a long, long time ago in England, they used to store the pork shoulder in barrels that they called butts, hence the name pork butt!


The pork was on the grill from 7:30 in the morning until about 3:00 in the afternoon. I wish I could tell you what kind of rub was put on it, but I am not sure about the specifics. While Jeff took care of the pork, Sarah had a beautiful spread inside that consisted of cheese and crackers, homemade dill dip with shredded cucumber, chips and salsa, delicious hummus and this interesting spicy onion-type dip for chips.




I then took on the role of sous chef and helped make some sauces while Sarah and others pulled the pork apart. There was a LOT of pork, let me tell you. The sauces Jeff made were delicious. One in particular was a mustard sauce with brown sugar, vinegar, hot sauce and a few special ingredients. It was finger-lickin good! Along with the pork, Sarah served my butternut squash side, baked ziti, couscous salad and ceaser salad. Everything was so tasty - I almost didn't have enough room for dessert.

For dessert, Sarah had homemade cupcakes! She made strawberry with vanilla frosting, and lemon with lemon cupcakes. Then, there was tiramisu that our friend Jennie made and that went really quick, brownies, chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips and these apple crunch bars.




After eating tooooo much food, we sang Jean happy birthday while she sat emotionless (it was priceless). She dove into a strawberry cupcake, opened her gifts, and if I can put words in her mouth, I think she had a darn good time.

Thank you Jeff and Sarah for hosting such a lovely party! It was a great time had by all!!!

No comments: