Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Mac and Cheese Please

Sometimes I absolutely CRAVE mac and cheese, and I have to admit, I love that not-so-good-for you Kraft mac and cheese. Fortunately, thanks to Hungry Girl , I have a super easy, better for you mac and cheese replacement.

This recipe not only hits the cheese craving, but also is loaded up on the veggies and is easy to alter depending on how you prefer your mac. Plus it is super low in ww points!

Below is how I have altered the recipe...

Ingredients:
1 C. whole wheat pasta (I use shells)
1 wedge laughing cow creamy Swiss cheese
1-2 servings Green Giant frozen broccoli in cheese sauce
1 slice white onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Steps:
Bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to package

While the pasta is cooking, cook the broccoli according to package instructions (microwave 2 1/2 to 3 minutes)

Saute onions with spray butter until translucent

Drain pasta, mix together with broccoli w/ cheese sauce, wedge of laughing cow and onions.

Viola! How easy is that!


(I apologize for the sloppy presentation ... I was so hungry after spinning that I had to dive right into this meal. Also, the tint of red is because I put some Crystal hot sauce on top for some spice)

Tips:
You can use the Green Giant frozen broccoli OR cauliflower- both are delicious...you could even mix them if you so desire.

I just added the onions for the first time this evening and I liked it but you can leave them out if you are not an onion fan.

Weight Watchers points* (approximate) is 3 for the pasta, 1 for the laughing cow cheese and 0 points per serving, so I say 1 point for 2 packages. That makes for a total of 5 for a whole lotta dinner!

2 comments:

Marlene W said...

I have a friend that loves Laughing Cow cheese and she is a health eater. I will pass this recipe on to her.

Cuisine Queen said...

Laughing cow also came out with 3 new flavors which will also be fun to play around with!