Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hoagie Heaven

So last night for dinner I had this AWESOME homemade hoagie that was super easy and full of flavor.

I can't say that I have a specific recipe for this since it's based mostly on your taste buds, but I'll tell you how I made it for some inspiration.

First, I took some sliced provolone cheese (just about 1 1/2 slices) and spread them out on a whole wheat sub roll and toasted it until the cheese got a little brown.

While the rolls were toasting, I used some spray butter (0 calories) in a pan and sauteed up some onions and mushroom (both of which I buy pre-cut because 1. I can't cut onions without balling like a baby and 2. pre-cut mushrooms and whole mushrooms are the same price)

Once the rolls were done I topped it with some of that hot sandwich spread, mustard, lettuce and tomato. I sliced up cherry tomatos because I like their sweet flavor better.

Then, I took some very very VERY thin sliced meat and chopped it up into even smaller pieces (like they do with philly cheesesteaks) and cooked it in a pan with some fresh ground pepper. Since the meat is so thin it only takes about 5 minutes to cook, so you should definitely start the mushrooms and onions before you start the meat.

Once the meat was done, I spread it out on the sub roll, topped it off with the mushrooms and onions and ta-da! The beautiful hoagie below was born!!!! :)

Isn't it gorgeous!?!?!?!

Tips:
I didn't do any official calculations on this for WW points*, but I would say 3 for the bread, 2 for the cheese and 2 for the meat (it was deer meat so it has almost NO fat at all) - so let's say around 7 or 8 points for the whole sandwich. Not too bad for a delicious dinner huh?

No comments: