Thursday, July 29, 2010

Nuts About Nuts (sort of)



As I have gotten older, I have definitely become a less picky eater. I will eat almost anything...except olives. I know it's strange. One of my recent discoveries has been chickpeas. I always liked hummus and falafel, but not plain chickpeas. (I know it's weird - like when I used to eat oranges but not OJ, and then switched and would drink OJ but not eat oranges ... hey, I never claimed to be normal)


Anyway, CHICKPEAS! They are delicious and high in fiber! If you crave salt a lot, keep these chickpea nuts on hands for a super healthy (1 ww point per* 1/2 C.) and yummy-in-your-tummy snack.


Ingredients:
1 can chickpeas
seasonings/spices of your preference

Steps:
Pre-heat oven to 450

Drain chickpeas in a collander - pat with a paper towel if necessary.


Spread chickpeas out in a single layer on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam.


Bake chickpeas on top rack at 450 between 45 minutes to an hour (keep checking to make sure they are crispy - they may look done, but often times they still haven't dried out fully in the center).


Once crispy (and cool enough to bag), place chickpeas in a large freezer bag, spray with 0 calorie olive oil spray and spinkle on the spices!


Tips:
My personal favorite spice to put on is old bay - but after living in Maryland for so long that doesn't come as a surprise.


I am also interested in tossing them in some ranch seasoning (found in the dressing/condiment aisle in the grocery store). If you try this, let me know how it comes out.


Happy Snacking!

1 comment:

Sam the G said...

Just wondering what spices you would recommend. There are so many to choose from.